* * *
* * *
Brand New! Westborough Historical Newspapers online.
Follow these links to explore local history resources available at the Westborough Public Library:
- The Westborough History Catalog – Descriptions of all the physical archival collections held at the Westborough Public Library. Use the links on the left of the Westborough History Catalog page to search or browse collections, and if you find something you want to see, ask a librarian!
- The Westborough Digital Repository – The Westborough Public Library’s own digital repository of photographs, documents, manuscripts, and more. A fun place to browse and learn about Westborough’s past!
- Westborough Historical Newspapers – Access the Westborough Chronotype and all of Westborough’s other historical newspapers online. Microfilm images of early Town Records are also available.
- Westborough Collections in the Digital Commonwealth – Complete digitized collections of Westborough’s most important archival holdings, available in the Digital Commonwealth.
- Westborough Local History Videos on YouTube – Videos from the Westborough Public Library’s local history collections. The Lyman School Vintage Film is also available for viewing on Westborough TV.
- The Westborough Archive Blog – The Westborough Public Library’s community blog for local history. Read local history as told by Westborough residents, and contribute your own article or story about Westborough history!
* * *
“For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?” –Cicero, Orator, 120
* * *
Additional online local history resources:
- Westborough High School Collections in the Digital Commonwealth – Documents, photographs, and items relating to the history of Westborough High School.
- Westborough High School Collection in the Internet Archive – Historical documents and items from the Dr. Edward E. Kelleher Library Media Center, including Westborough High School Yearbooks (1957-2012, with gaps).
- Westborough 300 High School History Projects – 9th Grade local history projects celebrating Westborough’s 300th anniversary from Mr. Steve DeBoer’s 2017 spring classes.
* * *
“The great force of history comes from the fact that we carry it within us, are unconsciously controlled by it . . . history is literally present in all that we do.” –James Baldwin
* * *
About Local History and Genealogy at the Westborough Public Library:
The Westborough Room, located on the main floor of the Westborough Public Library, was established to help preserve Westborough’s history. Its collection consists of vital records to 1850, vital records of Westborough to the 1990’s, family genealogies, town reports, genealogy publications, maps, photographs, and other materials of local historical and genealogical interest.
The Westborough Room Collection is a non-circulating collection. Please check the historical use policies for information on the use or reproduction of Westborough Room materials.
The Westborough Room also houses a collection of historic town documents, some dating back to the early 1700’s. Parts of the collection have been digitized at the Boston Public Library, and are available via Digital Commonwealth. For information about the historic documents, contact Anthony Vaver, Local History Librarian, at 508-366-3050 ext. 5284 or email email@example.com.
* * *
The Westborough Public Library was an NEH Common Heritage Grant Recipient for “‘Westborough: Your Town – Your History’ Scanning Day,” that was held on February 4, 2017. View an online exhibit showcasing some of the major themes that emerged from the items that people brought in to have digitized, and read about the event in the Community Advocate.
* * *
“There is nothing more powerful than a people, than a nation, steeped in its history. And there are few things as noble as honoring our ancestors by remembering.” –Lonnie G. Bunch III