Please note: This page is currently under construction, but we are making it public in case it is useful.
If you live in one of the historic districts in Westborough, then search for your house in . . .
- The Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System (MACRIS) – allows you to search the Massachusetts Historical Commission database for information on historic properties and areas in the Commonwealth.
Instructions on using MACRIS (it is not the most intuitive database to use):
- Click on the link on the home page to start your search.
- Click on the link at the bottom of the disclaimer notice.
- Highlight “Westborough” in the “Massachusetts Towns” box and click “Add to list.”
- You can enter your street name and/or number in the “Optional” box to make your search more specific.
- Click “Next” (NOT “New Search” unless you want to start a new search).
- Select “Building” in the “Resource Type” box and click “Add to list.” (You can select other categories to access information about historic districts, cemeteries, state institutions, etc., but then you will want to go back and make sure the “Optional” box in the previous screen is blank.)
- Click “Next.”
- If you see your house listed, explore the links connected with it. If not, then you may want to go back and clear any information in the “Optional” box to broaden your search and make sure that more narrow terms are not limiting your search too much. If you still do not see your house listed, then it is not included in this database.
Other resources available online or in the Westborough Room at the Westborough Public Library
- Massachusetts Land Records, Registry of Deeds, Worcester County – online records relating to the ownership of real estate in Worcester County, including deed and mortgage information. These records allow you to trace who lived in your house going back in time.
- Westborough Street Lists, 1924 – present (LH.053 – black bound books in the wooden bookcase) – street listings for houses and buildings in Westborough. Some years collect more information than others, but you can usually find names, house numbers, if the people lived in the same house/building the year before, occupation, and sometimes nationality. Some street listings are included in Town Reports (LH.051), so if a street listing volume appears to be missing, check the Town Reports.